Number of Runners
CHEVIOTS CHALLENGE - LONG RACE
The Cheviots Challenge is organised to raise funds for the Northumberland National Park Mountain Rescue Team. A voluntary organisation whose members share a common interest in providing and important life saving service 24 hours a day 365 days of the year. Our 39th Cheviots Challenge will take place on Saturday 4th September 2021 and will start and finish at the Rose and Thistle Inn, Alwinton, Northumberland. The challenge can be completed as a walk or as running race. For the first time this year,Trail Outlaws are working in partnership with the NNPMRT, to help with setting up the event as both a competitive race and a personal challenge.
The 'Terry Lynn' long route is approximately 22 miles long with over 4265 feet of ascent. This route will take you through and over the beautiful Upper Coquetdale and Cheviot Hills.
This truly is a fabulous fun trail challenge event. Entry also includes a complimentary sandwich at the end of the race.
Route and Course Markings
There are numerous check points along the route that must be visited. All checkpoints must be visited before their cut off time. Where the long route and short route split there will be a feeding station where drinks will be available.
Staffed checkpoints can provide first aid. The start / finish area will also have first aid provision including a paramedic and Mountain Rescue Ambulance. Nearest local hospitals:- Non Emergency - Wansbeck General Hospital, Woodhorn Lane, Ashington, NE63 9JJ. Tel 0344 811 8111A&E - Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital, Northumbria Way, Cramlington, NE23 6NZ. Tel 0344 811 8111
- Appropriate footwear for the terrain (walking boots or fell running shoes)
- Waterproof top and trousers
- Spare fleece or similar garment
- A functioning torch and whistle (six flashes or blasts in an emergency, repeated every minute).
- A simple first aid kit
- A map and compass (and know how to use them)
- A survival (bivi) bag
- Reserve food and water/drink
Race Registration and Parking
Rose & Thistle Inn,
NE65 7BQMap for Parking Area
Cheviots Challenge - 03/09/2022
09:00 - 09:45Rose & ThistleOpens for race registration, pick up race numbers and race merchandise.
09:55Start/Finish AreaRace safety briefing
10:00Start/Finish AreaRace start!
20:00Start/Finish AreaRace cut off
Cheviots Challenge - Rules
- All competitors must be taking part under their own names and numbers. No swapping of numbers or taking part in another’s place will be accepted. If you are found to be taking part in another’s place you will be disqualified.
- You must log your number with event marshals at each check point. It is your responsibility to make sure the marshal takes your number.
- Any competitor who is deemed unfit to continue by the event directors, marshals or medics will be withdrawn from event. The decision will be FINAL.
- Runners must carry all mandatory equipment at all times during the event unless stated otherwise at Event Briefing by the Eevent Director. If found to be not carrying the required kit at any time, you will be disqualified.
- If you decide to retire from the event you must notify a marshal. You must surrender your event number and you will not be allowed to continue.
- Unsporting behaviour (cheating) will not be tolerated and result in immediate disqualification. This includes but not limited to, not carrying mandatory kit at all times, taking short cuts, use of PEDs.
- We strongly advise against the using of NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs i.e Ibuprofen) during the events, as they are proven to cause harm during endurance events. Doing so against this advice is strictly at the competitor’s risk.
- All runners take full responsibility for their own navigation during the event.
- You must have your bib number visible at all times or easily accessible to show the Check Point team.
- If you do not leave an checkpoint before the cut off time you will not be allowed to continue for safety, cut-off times will be strictly enforced. If you get to the finish line after the final cut off you will unfortunately not be listed as an official finisher and will not be eligible for awards.
- Littering will result in immediate disqualification. We must respect the trails at all times. Some of our events take place in SSSI (Sites of Special Scientific Interest), and securing permission to host events in these areas is very difficult. If you litter you not only jeopardise the events future, but more importantly you jeopardise the area.
- Dogs are NOT allowed to take part in the event. They present a trip hazard to other runners and a risk of upsetting livestock of local land owners.
- Headphones are not permitted at the event. However, bone conducting ear phones are permitted.
- You do not have a right of way priority over any other users of the course, you must respect other users of the course throughout the duration of the event.
- The evemt has an ARC permit number and will be held under ARC rules. We recommend that you make yourself familiar with ARC rules specific to Trail running: http://www.runningclubs.org.uk/rules